Re: Nested Virtualization Of Hyper-V 2K8R2

Hi Jim,

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 12:34:23PM +0100, Jim wrote:
> I've worked with KVM for quite a while now but have come across a
> problem when trying to run some W2K8R2 VMs where I want to also run
> Hyper-V on those VMs - nested virtualization.
>
> I've researched and checked the obvious AMD processor with the enable
> nested flag, running a kvm guest with the nesting support enabled etc.
> which did allow me to add the Hyper-V role to the VM but when it
> reboots, the machine hardware lists a problem with the VM machine bus
> and no hyper-v VMs can be created.

Can you share the qemu command line you used to start the VM?

> From what I've read through from lurking on the list and reading the
> archives, I'm not sure whether the problem is that KVM is not ready to
> support Hyper-V yet or if I'm doing it wrong.
>
> I'd be very thankful if someone could say if I'm hoping for too much
> right now or point me where to go to find some details on what I'm
> doing wrong and how to do it right.

I also had issues with Hyper-V. But at least the root-domain should boot
up without problems. I also started a Linux guest inside but that got
stuck at some point in the kernel boot process. I havn't debugged that
further yet, though.

	Joerg