Re: Problems in starting windows using qemu-kvm from arch

Hi,

See my inline comments.

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:21 PM, Michael Tokarev <mjt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please stop top-posting.
>
> Satish Kagathara wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> 1. It seems that earlier kvm utility has been replaced by qemu-kvm
>> right? Because i found few threads on net referring to kvm command.
>
> No. It were always named qemu-system-x86_64.  Different distributions
> name it differently.  In Debian it were named kvm since beginning and
> is still named this way, but the package name were renamed from kvm
> to qemu-kvm.

Thank you for sharing this information.

>> 2. Do you mean Linux KVM works/emulates only IDE controller for
>> starting windows? It does not support SATA/RAID to start windows?
>
> It can emulate one of:
>  Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE controller
>  LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c895a SCSI controller
>  Virtio "controller"
>
> There are a bunch of various sata controllers out there (just like
> ide and scsi), and qemu does not emulate any of them.

Thanks again.

>> 3. Do you think i need to start my linux kernel with IOMMU or
>> Intel_iommu options?
>
> It depends on your needs.

I meant whether we need to start linux kernel with IOMMU or
intel_iommu option in command line for KVM to work or not. But i
believe it is not required for KVM.

>> Meanwhile i will try to find how can i prepare my windows to boot from
>> PIIX IDE controller.
>
> Hint: google for "mergeide".  That works for WinXP but not
> necessary Win7.

I googled 'mergeide'. I tried it on Windows 7 and it worked. I am able
to qemu-kvm windows 7 now. Thank you so much.

I also tried it on Windows XP but i am still facing some problem. XP
works if i start in Safe Mode but not in normal mode. Gives me an
error - services.exe - Application Error with message Exception
breakpoint, Click OK to terminate the program then gives lsass.exe -
application failed to initialize properly error.

Also, i observed that Windows 7 shutdown takes a lot more time then
regular shutdown. Any reason/clue on this behaviour?

Couple of new questions - 1. Can i run qemu-kvm from linux kernel with
only command support. No desktop environment installed (X11)? If yes,
what is the procedure?

2. If i restart/shutdown from quest OS that is windows in my case, is
it possible to restart/shutdown the complete system (i.e. host OS
too)?

> /mjt

Thanks,
Satish.