Re: Problems in starting windows using qemu-kvm from arch

Please stop top-posting.

Satish Kagathara wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> 1. It seems that earlier kvm utility has been replaced by qemu-kvm
> right? Because i found few threads on net referring to kvm command.

No. It were always named qemu-system-x86_64.  Different distributions
name it differently.  In Debian it were named kvm since beginning and
is still named this way, but the package name were renamed from kvm
to qemu-kvm.

> 2. Do you mean Linux KVM works/emulates only IDE controller for
> starting windows? It does not support SATA/RAID to start windows?

It can emulate one of:
 Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 IDE controller
 LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c895a SCSI controller
 Virtio "controller"

There are a bunch of various sata controllers out there (just like
ide and scsi), and qemu does not emulate any of them.

> 3. Do you think i need to start my linux kernel with IOMMU or
> Intel_iommu options?

It depends on your needs.

> Meanwhile i will try to find how can i prepare my windows to boot from
> PIIX IDE controller.

Hint: google for "mergeide".  That works for WinXP but not
necessary Win7.

/mjt