Re: KVM PMU virtualization

On 02/26/2010 05:55 PM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
BTW, just wondering, why would a developer be running VTune in a guest
anyway? I'd think that a developer that windows oriented would simply
run windows on his desktop and VTune there.

Cloud.

You have an app running somewhere on a cloud, internally or externally (you may not even know). It's running a production workload and it isn't doing well. You can't reproduce it on your desktop ("works for me, now go away"). So you rdesktop to your guest and monitor it.

You can't run anything on the host - you don't have access to it, you don't know who admins it (it's a program anyway), "the host" doesn't even exist, the guest moves around whenever the cloud feels like it.