Re: KVM PMU virtualization

On 02/26/2010 03:37 PM, Jes Sorensen wrote:
On 02/26/10 14:31, Ingo Molnar wrote:
You are missing two big things wrt. compatibility here:

  1) The first upgrade overhead a one time overhead only.

2) Once a Linux guest has upgraded, it will work in the future, with _any_
     future CPU - _without_ having to upgrade the guest!

Dont you see the advantage of that? You can instrument an old system on new
hardware, without having to upgrade that guest for the new CPU support.

That would only work if you are guaranteed to be able to emulate old
hardware on new hardware. Not going to be feasible, so then we are in a
real mess.

That actually works on the Intel-only architectural pmu. I'm beginning to like it more and more.