Re: buildbot

Daniel Gollub wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 July 2009 06:54:09 am Avi Kivity wrote:
>>> Unfortuatnely i'm completely new to the buildbot itself. Only did in the
>>> past brief checks of the documentation and feature overview. I already
>>> maintain some different continous build testing infrastrucute (based on
>>> ctest/cdash).
>>>

>> It doesn't have to be buildbot; anything that provides similar
>> functionality and is reasonably well documented can be used.
>
> ctest/cdash doesn't have yet completed Git integration (AFAIK). Not quite sure
> about any other alternatives to buildbot, which support Git. I already started
> setting up buildbot last night in a test environment ...
>
>>> But i'm very interested in getting in touch with buildbot and to support
>>> the kvm project. So it might take some days before the buildmaster
>>> instance is running productive. So if there are no other takers i would
>>> start setting up the buildmaster host.
>>>
>> Great.  We can start with qemu-kvm.git (and qemu.git), as getting
>> buildbot to understand how the external module works is not going to be
>> trivial.
>
> A local instance of buildbot with one master and one slave is already running
> for qemu-kvm.git (clone). Preparing now the final buildmaster host ...
>
> Unfortunately there seems to be no Git-"poller" in buildbot, like for SVN. So
> there is need to install a Git post-receive hook on the repositories to
> trigger the buildbot-master:
> http://buildbot.net/trac/browser/contrib/git_buildbot.py
>
> I hope this ok. Otherwise we would need to setup mirror, which contains this
> hook.
>
> Some further questions to the build test:
>
> - incremental/quick or full/"safe" build tests?
>   (e.g. "make clean" before actual configuration/build?)

Maybe a full rebuild once per day and incremental rebuilds for each
update. I bet there will be a way to trigger also full rebuilds manually
in case something looks fishy, right?

> - any non-default compiler flags?

Use as many as you can. Make sure all required libs are available on the
host so that qemu(-kvm) enables the related features (e.g. xen).

> - which combination of configuration should get tested?
>   * w/o --disable-kvm
>   * ...
> - which branches should get build-tested for qemu-kvm.git? just master in the
>   beginning?

Further wishes (I didn't thought too much about it, be prepared for more
:->):
 - out-of-tree build (currently broken in qemu-kvm)
 - building for 32 and 64-bit hosts

Thanks for your effort so far! But I hope you are aware of the fact that
maintaining the buildbot will also require some work. I would suggest to
either make the setup description and scripts available for cloning your
environment easily or arrange access for further contributors to
distribute maintenance as far as reasonable and feasible. I would be
someone interested in helping (as I hope it will safe me quite some time
elsewhere).

Jan