Re: buildbot

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 06:54:09 am Avi Kivity wrote:
> > Unfortuatnely i'm completely new to the buildbot itself. Only did in the
> > past brief checks of the documentation and feature overview. I already
> > maintain some different continous build testing infrastrucute (based on
> > ctest/cdash).
> >

> It doesn't have to be buildbot; anything that provides similar
> functionality and is reasonably well documented can be used.

ctest/cdash doesn't have yet completed Git integration (AFAIK). Not quite sure
about any other alternatives to buildbot, which support Git. I already started
setting up buildbot last night in a test environment ...

> > But i'm very interested in getting in touch with buildbot and to support
> > the kvm project. So it might take some days before the buildmaster
> > instance is running productive. So if there are no other takers i would
> > start setting up the buildmaster host.
> >

> Great.  We can start with qemu-kvm.git (and qemu.git), as getting
> buildbot to understand how the external module works is not going to be
> trivial.

A local instance of buildbot with one master and one slave is already running
for qemu-kvm.git (clone). Preparing now the final buildmaster host ...

Unfortunately there seems to be no Git-"poller" in buildbot, like for SVN. So
there is need to install a Git post-receive hook on the repositories to
trigger the buildbot-master:
http://buildbot.net/trac/browser/contrib/git_buildbot.py

I hope this ok. Otherwise we would need to setup mirror, which contains this
hook.

Some further questions to the build test:

- incremental/quick or full/"safe" build tests?
  (e.g. "make clean" before actual configuration/build?)
- any non-default compiler flags?
- which combination of configuration should get tested?
  * w/o --disable-kvm
  * ...
- which branches should get build-tested for qemu-kvm.git? just master in the
  beginning?

Best Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Gollub                        Geschaeftsfuehrer: Ralph Dehner
FOSS Developer                       Unternehmenssitz:  Vohburg

Adresse: B1 Systems GmbH, Osterfeldstraße 7, 85088 Vohburg
http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xED14B95C2F8CA78D