Re: buildbot

On Wednesday 08 July 2009 05:18:41 pm Jan Kiszka wrote:
> > Some further questions to the build test:
> >
> > - incremental/quick or full/"safe" build tests?
> >   (e.g. "make clean" before actual configuration/build?)
>
> Maybe a full rebuild once per day and incremental rebuilds for each
> update.

Buildbot has a scheduler called "Nightly", which would perfectly fit here. You
can schedule those full builds on e.g.: 23:00

> I bet there will be a way to trigger also full rebuilds manually
> in case something looks fishy, right?

Not quite sure - need to check that. But there is buttoon "force build" on the
web interface to retrigger a build, even if there was no "event" (e.g.
commit). But this would also call the Build-Profile without the "make clean".
But we could create a "cleanup" Build-Profile, which is using the same build
directory. And do this "force build" for this "cleanup" Build-Profile.

But very likely there is such a feature and i just didn't found it yet ....

> > - any non-default compiler flags?
>
> Use as many as you can. Make sure all required libs are available on the
> host so that qemu(-kvm) enables the related features (e.g. xen).

Ok.

> > - which combination of configuration should get tested?
> >   * w/o --disable-kvm
> >   * ...
> > - which branches should get build-tested for qemu-kvm.git? just master in
> > the beginning?
>
> Further wishes (I didn't thought too much about it, be prepared for more
>
> :->):
>
>  - out-of-tree build (currently broken in qemu-kvm)

With every commit, or nightly/once-per-day?

>  - building for 32 and 64-bit hosts

Yes, thats planned.

> Thanks for your effort so far! But I hope you are aware of the fact that
> maintaining the buildbot will also require some work.

Sure, i already discussed that with my manager. I guess some of my colleagues
will also support me on maintaing this environment ...

> I would suggest to
> either make the setup description and scripts available for cloning your
> environment easily or arrange access for further contributors to
> distribute maintenance as far as reasonable and feasible.

It's planned to setup the buildmaster in a VM. So if there is any HW failure
or I run out of time, i would just handover the VM to someone else. The VM is
dedicated to the buildmaster ...

I thought also about running a Git repository for the used buildmaster
configuration. Since the master configuration contains all the build profiles.

> I would be
> someone interested in helping (as I hope it will safe me quite some time
> elsewhere).

Ok - cool. As soon the VM is up and running i'll contact you regarding remote
access.

Best Regards,
Daniel

--
Daniel Gollub                        Geschaeftsfuehrer: Ralph Dehner
FOSS Developer                       Unternehmenssitz:  Vohburg

Adresse: B1 Systems GmbH, Osterfeldstraße 7, 85088 Vohburg
http://pgpkeys.pca.dfn.de/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xED14B95C2F8CA78D