Re: Userspace MSR handling

Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
On 05/24/09 14:07, Avi Kivity wrote:
I agree however that the Xen hypercall page protocol has no business in
kvm.ko. But can't we implement it in emu? Xenner conveniently places a
ring 0 stub in the guest, we could trap the MSR there and emulate it
entirely in the guest.

No. The case where handling the msr writes is needed is the pv-on-hvm driver support. For pv kernels it could be handled by emu if it would be needed, but pv kernels don't need the msr stuff in the first place. There should be a longish mail about that in the list archive ...

Yes, I forgot.

Device drivers have no business writing to cpu model specific registers. I hate to bring that fugliness to kvm but I do want to support Xen guests.

It should have been implemented as mmio. Maybe implement an ioctl that converts rdmsr/wrmsr to equivalent mmios?

struct kvm_msr_mmio {
   __u32 msr;
   __u32 nr;
   __u64 mmio;
   __u32 flags;
   __u32 pad[3];
}

In any case it should reject the standard msr ranges to prevent Alex from implementing cpu emulation in userspace.