Re: Userspace MSR handling

On 05/22/09 22:11, Ed Swierk wrote:
Does it make sense to implement a generic mechanism for handling MSRs
in userspace?

I see no other way to handle the xen pv msr writes.

I imagine a mechanism analogous to PIO, adding a
KVM_EXIT_MSR code and a msr type in the kvm_run struct.

Sounds sensible to me. Probably must be off by default for backward compatibility, then enabled by ioctl. I think it would be best to enable it for specific msrs. We probably also want to have a way for userspace to figure whenever some specific msr is implemented in-kernel to handle the case of an msr emulation moving from userspace to kernelspace gracefully.

I'm happy to take a stab at implementing this if no one else is
already working on it.

I is somewhere on my todo list, but I didn't looked at it (yet).
Feel free to go ahead ;)

cheers,
  Gerd