Re: Userspace MSR handling

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Device drivers have no business writing to cpu model specific registers.  I
> hate to bring that fugliness to kvm but I do want to support Xen guests.
>
> It should have been implemented as mmio.  Maybe implement an ioctl that
> converts rdmsr/wrmsr to equivalent mmios?

Converting MSRs to IO sounds fine, but a generic mechanism, with a new
ioctl type and all the bookkeeping for a dynamically-sized list of
MSR-to-MMIO mappings, seems like overkill given the puny scope of the
problem. All the Xen HVM guest needs is a single, arbitrary MSR that
when written generates an MMIO or PIO write handled by userspace. If
this requirement is unique and we don't expect to find other guests
that similarly abuse MSRs, could we get away with a less flexible but
simpler mechanism?

What I have in mind is choosing an unused legacy IO port range, say,
0x28-0x2f, and implementing a KVM-specific MSR, say, MSR_KVM_IO_28,
that maps rdmsr/wrmsr to a pair of inl/outl operations on these ports.
Either MMIO or PIO would work, but I'm assuming it's safer to grab
currently-unused IO ports than particular memory addresses.

That odor you smell is the aroma of hardcoded goop, but I'm trying to
find a solution that doesn't burden KVM with a big chunk of code to
solve a one-off problem.

--Ed