Re: Userspace MSR handling

On 22.05.2009, at 22:11, Ed Swierk <eswierk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm experimenting with Gerd's excellent work on integrating Xenner
into Qemu (http://git.et.redhat.com/?p=qemu-kraxel.git). I'm using it
to boot a FreeBSD guest that uses the Xen paravirtual network drivers.
Decoupling the Xen PV guest support from the hypervisor really
simplifies deployment.

The current implementation doesn't yet support KVM, as KVM has to
handle a Xen-specific MSR in order to map hypercall pages into the
guest physical address space. A recent thread on this list discussed
the issue but didn't come to a resolution.

Does it make sense to implement a generic mechanism for handling MSRs
in userspace? I imagine a mechanism analogous to PIO, adding a
KVM_EXIT_MSR code and a msr type in the kvm_run struct.

I'm happy to take a stab at implementing this if no one else is
already working on it.

I think it's a great idea.
I was thinking of doing something similar for ppc's HIDs/SPRs too, so a userspace app can complement the kernel's vcpu support.

Also by falling back to userspace all those MSR read/write patches I send wouldn't have to go in-kernel anymore :)

Alex

--Ed