Re: KVM is type 1 hypervisor, but...

I never understood why people cared about it too much,  the terms come
from a academic paper in the 70s and we're even fully correct back
then, and have gotten less an less useful.

To make some sense of them it might be better to understand them in
terms of use cases rather than implementation, e.g. in terms of
KVM someone running a VM or two in addition to a normal desktop Linux
(e.g. a kernel developer testing things, or a Windows VM for a certain
application) fits into the type 2 model, while a server whos primary
purpose is to host VMs it type 1.  But with todays cloud or
hyperconverged architectures a single host system very often runs
VM and actualy workloads (e.g. storage backends or databases) as well.

So in my eyes it's a very theoretical concept that doesn't have any
practical relevance.