Re: KVM is type 1 hypervisor, but...

Hi Jan,

On 05/29/2017 10:34 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> But you may soon cite another example for how meaningless the
> classification is in practice:
>
> "[...] This scheme does not fit into the traditional classification of
> hypervisors [7] – it can be seen as a mixture of Type-1 and Type-2
> hypervisors: It runs on raw hardware like a bare-metal hypervisor
> without an underlying system level, but still cannot operate without
> Linux as a system aide to provide initialised hardware. Linux is used
> as bootloader, but not for operation."
>
> From the accepted OSPERT17 paper of a student of us on the Jailhouse
> hypervisor architecture.
I'm looking forward to read that paper. I took a look at the Github
repository. Sounds very interesting project. Is there some draft paper
available somewhere?

> Maybe I could motivate him writing about the
> classification nonsense alone as well, but he is also very good engineer
> and code contributor... ;)
That would be nice. Really that type-1 type-2 thing is poisoning the
discussion since too long now.
The one that could debunk that myth would become famous and endlessly
praised for having put a tombstone on that non-sense (<-- is that
motivating enough?)

> And if you want to do something good to your students: teach concepts by
> practical examples, particularly the exceptions from textbook rules.
;)

--
-- Sylvain Leroux
-- sylvain@xxxxxxxxxxx