Re: KVM is type 1 hypervisor, but...

> To make some sense of them it might be better to understand them in
> terms of use cases rather than implementation, e.g. in terms of
> KVM someone running a VM or two in addition to a normal desktop Linux
> (e.g. a kernel developer testing things, or a Windows VM for a certain
> application) fits into the type 2 model, while a server whos primary
> purpose is to host VMs it type 1.  But with todays cloud or
> hyperconverged architectures a single host system very often runs
> VM and actualy workloads (e.g. storage backends or databases) as well.
I like the idea of thinking in terms of use cases.

Could you elaborate a little bit about that?

If we could find an *unbiased* way of comparing the behavior of various
"virtualization architecture" in some real world situation, I could add
that to my course. And probably record it so it could be published on
YouTube or elsewhere. That could be a way to help spreading the idea we
can compare VM solutions differently than using a 40 years old
classification.

--
-- Sylvain Leroux
-- sylvain@xxxxxxxx