Re: Implement generic double fault generation mechanism

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 09:04:52AM +0800, Dong, Eddie wrote:

> > There is not point referring to current code. Current code does not
> > handle serial exceptions properly. So fix it in your patch otherwise I
> > propose to use my patch that fixes current code
> > (http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/21829/).
> >

> I would like Avi to decide. As comments to the difference of 2 patches, my undrestanding is that I am addressing the problem base on SDM 5-4 with the answer to serial injection as first in first service. Your patch doesn;t solve generic double fault case for example exception 11 on 11, or GP on GP which needs to be converted to #DF per SDM, rather you only handle the case the secondary exception is PF,  and servicing PF.

There is nothing to decide really. I prefer your patch with serial
exception handling fixed. If you'll not do it I'll do it.

> I can check with internal architecture to see what does "handle exceptions serially" mean in really. For me serial means first in first out, and thus we should remain 1st exception.

There is a table 5.2 that defines an order between some events.  The table
is not complete, I don't see #DE there for instance.  But consider
this case: #DE (or #NP) happens while exception stack is paged out so
#PF happens next. #PF is handled by TSS gate so it uses its own stack
and it fixes exception stack in its handler. If we drop #PF because #DE
is already waiting we will keep trying to inject #DE indefinitely. The
result is hanging QEMU process eating 100% cpu time. If we replace #DE
with #PF on the other hand then #PF handler will fix exception stack
instruction that caused #DE will be re-executed, #DE regenerated and
handled properly. So which scenario do you prefer?

WFIW bochs/qemu replace old exception with a new one.

--
			Gleb.