Re: Implement generic double fault generation mechanism

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 11:00:51PM +0800, Dong, Eddie wrote:
> Gleb Natapov wrote:

> >> Actually this is already addressed in current patch too: Just keep
> >> the former exception. If you mean the prink should be removed, I am
> >> fine.
> > Keeping the former exception is not the right thing to do. It can't be
> > delivered because delivering it cause another exception and handler
> > that may fix the situation is not called since you drop last
> > exception and keep re-injecting the one that can't be handled.
> >
> >> BTW, this case doesn't happen in reality.
> >>
> > Then why do you write all this code then? :) I can easily write test
>
> I am fixing the potential #DF bug existing in current code which only handle
> PF on PF.
> For those sequential exception, it is WARN_ON in current code.

Can your describe real life scenario that needs this fix? I am all for
fixing code and be as close as possible to SDM, but if you do it do it right.

> > case that will do that (actually I did) and if not handled properly it
> > just loops taking 100% cpu trying to reinject exception that cannot be
> > handled.
>
> Are u sure current code is dead loop in WARN_ON with your test code?
Yes.

> I don't see it will never happen and thus why printk it, but shouldn't exist
I have the code that triggers this path. Good enough for me.

> in current guest that KVM can support.
>
> See original kvm_queue_exception in case you ignored the code.

There is not point referring to current code. Current code does not
handle serial exceptions properly. So fix it in your patch otherwise I
propose to use my patch that fixes current code
(http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/21829/).

--
			Gleb.