Re: KVM and VMware

Ricardo Botelho de Sousa schrieb:
> On Thursday 26 February 2009 11:34:43 Manfred_Knick wrote:
>> Thus, if one would like to protect any ignorant user from harming
>> himself, the check for exclusiveness would have to be applied
>> dynamically at each try to start-up a VM instead, not at installation time.

> Not necessarly the ignorant. If you, to prepare a migration install on a
> Ubuntu/Debian machine their KVM package, it will automatically load the
> adquate module. IF VMware is still running ...  you get a stuck server :(

Sorry for the wording ...

Please, note what I'm looking for, as it seems to be the "easy" case:

IFF - as supposed in this intellectual game - the patch *is* already
applied, the module may well load, indeed; but it will *not* change the
KVM 'hypervisor' to 'root mode' instantaneously;
thus: no stuck server yet.

IFF - as proposed - the other 'hypervisor' rejects to start any VM
(and thus continues to reject switching into 'root mode')
as long as *any* other 'hypervisor' keeps any VM running,
thre still will be no stuck server.

It's the user's responsibility then to react upon the corresponding
error message, shutdown the other VM's, and re-start over again.

Manfred

P.S.:

If one wants to take advantage of VMware's even more comfortable
approach with switching in and out of 'root mode',
that desires a more detailed consideration, defenitely more work
and perhaps some decrease in performance.
Avi pointed out to me that on a 'bare metal' server installation,
KVM might not be prepared to pay this latter sacrifice.