Re: KVM and VMware

Alexander Graf schrieb:

> I have a patch lying around that activates hardware virtualization
> features on first VM creation and deactivates them on last destruction,
> so you can insmod kvm without blocking other VMMs from working.

> Of course you still can't run kvm and vmware virtual machines in
> parallel. But you can have both loaded without running into trouble.

That would help and ease work quite a bit, indeed!

Because:

A) There _are_ clients in the wild
which use different Virtualizations on different servers for different
applications -
especially during times of migration :)) !

B) Even if one client exclusively uses KVM,
another client exclusively uses Parallels,
another client exclusively uses VMware, ...,
the guy who has to work on those projects
is 'a bit unfortunate' to-day ;)

The procedure described in my former mail will work -
but I fear that every time e.g. a new kernel version has to be compiled,
you have to be very aware to take the right steps in the right order
again and again.

Of couse, having this patch applied,
VMware would need to be convinced
to take off their protective charm ;) at installation time.

> Of course you still can't run ...  in parallel.

Thus, if one would like to protect any ignorant user from harming
himself, the check for exclusiveness would have to be applied
dynamically at each try to start-up a VM instead, not at installation time.

Manfred