Re: KVM and VMware

On 25.02.2009, at 17:03, Avi Kivity wrote:

Manfred_Knick wrote:
B) Any chance to solve this problem?

'rmmod kvm-intel; rmmod kvm' should work.

Avi,
thanks a lot for your _very_ speedy response!!

So I take it that
--> "You can't have them both at once, at the same time"
which turns out to be really unfortunate for my tasks.

ERGO: what I'm going to try is:

o) delete all static kvm stuff in the kernel .config / rebuild / reboot
o) un-merge app-emulation/kvm-84 "without modules"
o) emerge vmware-workstation
o) emerge   app-emulation/kvm-84 "with modules"
o) don't auto-load kvm and kvm-[intel|amd]
o) !! EITHER start vmware
o) !! OR load / start KVM,
o) !! thus manually avoiding those threatening kernel lockups.

Looks right -- does "without modules" mean kvm is built-in into the kernel?

Are there any plans @ KVM to change the (*) behavior in the future,
e.g. switching in and out of root mode each time
so as to not conflict with other virtualization software?

No, running multiple virtual machine monitors is a very esoteric use case and is therefore not worth the performance hit.

I have a patch lying around that activates hardware virtualization features on first VM creation and deactivates them on last destruction, so you can insmod kvm without blocking other VMMs from working. Of course you still can't run kvm and vmware virtual machines in parallel. But you can have both loaded without running into trouble.

I just need to rediff that for current git. It's on my TODO list, just not top priority for now.

Alex