RE: [kvm-ia64-devel] IRQ assignment

Anthony Liguori wrote:

> The long term solution will be to have a machine description
> configuration file.  This will allow ia64 and i386 to have different
> ACPI tables.  Be cautious about doing too much "surgery" at this point
> unless it fits into that model.

My understanding is qemu have different "machine description" for ia64
and x86.
So ia64 and i386 have different ACPI tables.
That's good for "static machine".

While in virtulization environment,  "machine description" may change,
For example, if we want to support device assignment by using VT-d, we
may need a dummy pci device in qemu to
represent assigned real device, then we may need to change "machine
description".
While BIOS is indenpend on qemu, means BIOS(DSDT) can not be dynamically
rebuilt based on the new machien decription.

Your suggestion may work if qemu provides slots,
For example, qemu provide 8 pci slots,
Machine description can describe these slots,  sush as irq routing
table.
Then BIOS (DSDT) can build on this machine description, which is not
supposed to change.
When you need one more virtual pci device in qemu, you can "plug" it
into one virtual slot.

This also help implement guest PCI device hotplug.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Anthony