Re: Few general questions on kvm-arm

On Tue, Jun 03 2014 at  5:24:01 pm BST, Mathew Li <mathew.li100@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for all the answers Marc. I had one more question:
>
> Theoretically, can a pcpu running in kernel mode (i.e. non-HYP mode)
> write to the list register in vcpu control interface of another pcpu
> (i.e. different from the writing pcpu)?

There are two things here:
- Not sure if you could write to the GICH range from EL1. I don't see
anything in the spec that forbids it, but that clearly contrary to the
spirit of the architecture.
- GICv2 gives you the ability to write to other CPUs GICH range, but
doesn't give you any way to synchronise your changes with what the vcpu
does. As such, this is completely unusable (and GICv3 has thankfully
removed this /feature/ from the architecture).

	M.
--
Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny.