Re: konsole problems with utf8 characters

Am Sun, Jan 08, 2023 at 09:11:05PM +0100 schrieb Patrick Nagel:
> Hi René,
>
> > >For me Konsole also doesn't show emojis and also many other characters
> >
> > Attached the little file I use to test emoji rendering. all of which are rendered fine in my older konsole5 version (20.11.70) built against Qt 5.9, using the basic `cat` command to display it (but also in vim).
>
> Thanks, that's a useful test case. And actually it motivated me to dig a little deeper.
>[…]
> screen didn't get any LANG and LC_ALL environment variables that specify a <...>.UTF-8 locale. It was an easy fix, once I knew where to look :)

Incidentally, I also had been having Emoji issues for a long time now—only
seeing those monochrome smiley faces for some characters, but mostly blank
squares. By happy accident I recently discovered that in Konsole profile
settings under Appearance→Advanced, there is an own option for an Emoji
font, which in my case was set to “-1”. So I selected a proper font (the
pre-installed Noto Color Emoji) and with that I got a full list of images
from the sample text.🥳

--
Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
Tea, Earl Grey, hot.