Re: konsole problems with utf8 characters

Hi Walter,

On Wednesday, 4 January 2023 02:08:12 CET Walter Cazzola wrote:
> The attached screenshot showcases the issue. On the bottom you have a Konsole
> instance with two panes. The upper pane shows (by using cat) a file with
> the 💔and 💑utf-8 characters. The lower pane shows the same file by using vim.
> The window on top shows the same file but using vim in its own GUI (separate
> from Konsole). As you can notice vim can display it but not when launched in
> Konsole.
>
> Both vim and KDE use DejaVu Sans family (vim uses the monospace version but
> the issue is not there since once it is displayed correctly and once not).

For me Konsole also doesn't show emojis and also many other characters, Chinese, are shown as question marks on a white rhombus. My bet would be on font substitution (that's the mechanism that falls back to another font if a glyph is missing from the chosen font). It just doesn't seem to be working/active in Konsole, or it's working in a very limited way.

In KMail however, also a KDE application, I have the Emojis (e.g. 😀) and any characters (e.g. 语言, where the second character wouldn't show in Konsole) just fine, even with fixed-width font.

Google doesn't bring up anything useful, or I'm using the wrong search terms, as if we were the only two people that had this issue... Maybe someone here has an idea?

Patrick.