konsole problems with utf8 characters

Dear KDE-ers,
I've an issue that has been haunting me since a little. Konsole doesn't print
properly some utf8 characters. They could be those two bytes long. At least I
noticed it with flags, fruits, flowers and other icons that are two bytes
long.

The attached screenshot showcases the issue. On the bottom you have a Konsole
instance with two panes. The upper pane shows (by using cat) a file with
the 💔and 💑utf-8 characters. The lower pane shows the same file by using vim.
The window on top shows the same file but using vim in its own GUI (separate
from Konsole). As you can notice vim can display it but not when launched in
Konsole.

Both vim and KDE use DejaVu Sans family (vim uses the monospace version but
the issue is not there since once it is displayed correctly and once not).

Locale says:
     LANG=en_US.UTF-8
     LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
     LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_MONETARY=it_IT.UTF-8
     LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT.UTF-8
     LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
     LC_ALL=

that looks correct to me.

I'm using KDE Plasma 5.25.4 on Fedora 35 and Konsole 21.12.2.

I have googled at long and tried several suggestions without success. Any idea
about how to solve it?

Thank you
Walter