Re: konsole problems with utf8 characters

Hi René,

On Friday, 6 January 2023 13:22:35 CET René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday January 06 2023 10:48:15 Patrick Nagel wrote:
>
> >For me Konsole also doesn't show emojis and also many other characters
>
> Attached the little file I use to test emoji rendering. all of which are rendered fine in my older konsole5 version (20.11.70) built against Qt 5.9, using the basic `cat` command to display it (but also in vim).

Thanks, that's a useful test case. And actually it motivated me to dig a little deeper.

It turns out it's not konsole's fault after all (at least not konsole 22.08.3 on my system): I run most terminal applications in `screen`, and when I tested with your file outside of screen everything was fine (even using color emojis, btw.), but inside it wasn't (see screenshot: https://patrick-nagel.net/temp/unicode_konsole.png ).

That confused me, because I had seen Unicode working perfectly fine in screen before. Turns out the problem is how I start this particular screen session: It's a script in /etc/local.d that then uses sudo to run screen as my user (instead of root). That way, and since I didn't pass the environment from root either, screen didn't get any LANG and LC_ALL environment variables that specify a <...>.UTF-8 locale. It was an easy fix, once I knew where to look :)

Cheers,
Patrick.