Re: KDE 4 (yes, again...): what features are you using?

On Wednesday 25 March 2009, James Richard Tyrer wrote:> > Now it appears that, at least in OpenSuSE, this file gets overwritten> > with the defaults (or the present settings, I don't know) when you> > log out, so your changes are lost.>> I should first tell you that you should only edit the file when the> session it is for is NOT running.  This tends to be true of many> configuration files for KDE (in 3.x.y as well).
I suppose this means starting a Gnome (or other desktop) session, or first killing X?
(...)>> Starting at 0, there is a problem that the KDE-4 project doesn't start> at 0.  If this was a new independent project and we had released version> 0.2.1, nobody would be complaining since users would figure that when it> got to 1.0.0 that it would probably work correctly.  So, we really> shouldn't call this KDE-4.x.y, it should be called KDE4-0.x.y.
I absolutely agree. Being an ex-OS/2 user I've always thought it should have been called KDE/2, and it should have been said that KDE 3.x would remain (but no more be developped) and /2 would eventually be the successor.
I plainly trust the developpers to make KDE 4 a wonderful piece of software (in the end), but I doubt it will be there in 0.4.3 (pardon, 4.3) and Distribution makers like Novell (pardon, OpenSuSE) said they want to go "KDE 4 only" as of their next release.
If I have to upgrade my distribution (this may be necessary depending on hardware) I will probably swith to Gnome and ... may never come back (what's more, you can perfectly start KDE 4 apps from Gnome).
One way or the other, I'll miss KDE 3 features, so the winner will be either the one that makes me loose less, or the one that brings me some killer feature. For the time being, the only one I found in 4.2 is the possibility to have two clocks on my two screns that are set do different timezones...
That's not enough fo me at the moment, and while I thank all the contributors to this thread for sharing their thoughts, it seems to me ovious that they have to _think_ to show a feature that makes KDE 4 sensible "against" KDE 3
Thierry
-- “Microsoft isn't evil,they just make really crappy operating systems.” Linus Torvald
___________________________________________________This message is from the kde mailing list.Account management:  https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde.Archives: http://lists.kde.org/.More info: http://www.kde.org/faq.html.