Re: skipstamp db missing errors

On Thu, 10 Aug 2023, at 3:06 AM, Phil Dibowitz wrote:
> Yes, I have those too. Didn't notice until I looked for them as they're
> buried in lots of other logs:

Aha!

> I made that directory and restarted and now skipstamp is there, and the
> errors in the logs have disappeared! Thanks!

I wonder what usually creates this directory... or if it requires an admin to just know they need to make it themselves (or to notice the singular "no such file or directory" in the log and go from there).  I don't see any reason that ctl_cyrusdb couldn't just create the db directory itself if it doesn't already exist, so I'll make it do that.  And then nobody will need to remember to do it by hand when deploying a server.

> Though just out of my own curiosity, how come the other DB files aren't
> in the 'db' directory but that one is? The only relevant config I can
> find is:
>
> ```
> configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
> ```
>
> And I'd assume everything would be relevant to that, either in that dir
> or in $configdir/db/ ?

All the _databases_ live in $configdir.  As far as I can tell, the $config/db subdirectory is for database metadata, like this skipstamp file or the skipcleanshutdown file.

> Thanks again for all your help, and sorry it was such a dumb issue.

Thanks for raising it and following up, it's highlighted a dumb behaviour (i.e. Cyrus not creating a directory it needs) that can now just be fixed.

Cheers,

ellie