Re: Real big mailboxes?

Le 17/06/2021 à 20:43:02+0200, Paul van der Vlis a écrit
Hi,

> > I got some mailbox with more than 100 000 mail without subfolder without
> > any issue.
>
> I have here a folder with 400 000 messages.
> Would 10 million messages be a problem?

Don't know.

> > Bigest mailbox in size are more than 40Go (no issue).
>
> What would happen when a mailbox would be 1 TB ?

For me (but I'm not a cyrus imap dev), I don't thinkg le size would be «ever»
a problem. I think the problem will start with the number of messages.

> And does it matter when it is in many folders?

Still I'm not a dev, but I think yes. After all they are the FS under cyrus
and for me the limit are on the FS.

If you put 10 000 000 files under one directory you can try «ls» go to a
lunch and come back (and I'm not sure it's working). Of course depend of
the kind of fs.

But if you put 10 000 files under 10 000 directory everything would work
fine.

As I know it for very very large installation (of cyrus) the mailbox are
not store in a standard posix FS but in some distributed FS.

> > No issue = no slow down.
>
> What do you expect to become slow?
> The IMAP synchronization?

Long long time ago, when mailbox index doesn't exist when you reach some
fuzzy limit the check mail suddenly become ultra-slow (not usable).

With index this problem goes away for good.

That said...I can understand the purpose of 400 000 mails in one folder
(not subfolder)....

Regards

JAS
--