Re: Real big mailboxes?

On 17.06.21 14:43, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
I got some mailbox with more than 100 000 mail without subfolder without
any issue.

I have here a folder with 400 000 messages.
Would 10 million messages be a problem?

Given that messages are stored in individual files -- their names being simply decimal message-numbers -- I'd be concerned with the number reaching 2^32. All it takes is a use of (or even a cast to) an int somewhere in the code... (Perhaps, hexadecimals should be used instead, by the way.)

Then there is the maximum number of inodes the FS can have.

Oh, and for subfolders you can mount additional filesystems -- indeed, I'd like to be able to keep the INBOX of each user on the filesystem separate from the same user's lower sub-folders. Unfortunately, my question on how to do that remains unanswered.

-mi