Re: Status of mail search on Cyrus 3?

On 2021-05-03 23:44, Robert Stepanek wrote:
Hi Nate,

hi! thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, IMAP search is meant to be fully supported. Lots of people use it
at Fastmail every day (using the Xapian backend). Now we need to find
out what's causing it not to work on your installation.

ok great thanks, when I saw discussions about Xapian API I was thinking
maybe it was something special for Fastmail and not accessible via
standard IMAP protocol.

That's not what this (closed) issue says. If you scroll right down to
the end, you'll see that we fixed that issue early this year, as we do
want to continue squat backend support. Probably this fix is not
enough for your particular issue.

oh ok, looking further it seems as if someone committed a change that would apply to a newer version.

This is what needs to get sorted out first. conversations.db became a
very central database in Cyrus. It should be indexed built in seconds,
14 hours is absolutely insane. Did you reconstruct your mailboxes
after the upgrade? Are you using the twoskip backend for
conversations.db (you can set that in imapd.conf).

I don't recall the last time I rebuilt mailboxes(probably been many many years). Certainly did not do anything special for the upgrade, was expecting if anything like that was needed that the debian package process would include it, but looking at the
script(s) that run after package install there is no indication of that
happening. Either that or the Debian folks should of included upgrade info in their release notes(I remember that happened with Cyrus 1.x->2.x), or
if they did then I must've missed it.

I did just run this now: /usr/lib/cyrus/bin/reconstruct -r -V max
(Does that command look reasonable?)

For each mailbox it said:
Repacked user.xxx to version 13
user.xxx: update uniqueid from header (null) => 05320f3f48e3b858

I have nothing in imapd.conf that mentions twoskip or conversations. Here is my full imapd.conf (minus comments and blank lines), I did add the search_ stuff as
part of my recent quest to get this working again:

---
configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
proc_path: /run/cyrus/proc
mboxname_lockpath: /run/cyrus/lock
search_engine: xapian
search_index_headers: no
search_batchsize: 8192
defaultsearchtier: t1
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus/mail
partition-news: /var/spool/cyrus/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
altnamespace: no
unixhierarchysep: no
lmtp_downcase_rcpt: yes
admins: cyrus
allowanonymouslogin: no
popminpoll: 1
autocreate_quota: 0
umask: 077
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
hashimapspool: true
allowplaintext: yes
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_auto_transition: no
tls_server_cert: /etc/apache2/ssl/certs/wildcard.linuxpowered.net_2022.crt
tls_server_key: /etc/apache2/ssl/keys/wildcard.linuxpowered.net.key
tls_client_ca_dir: /etc/ssl/certs
tls_session_timeout: 1440
tls_ciphers: TLSv1+HIGH:!aNULL:@STRENGTH
lmtpsocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle
notifysocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/notify
syslog_prefix: cyrus
---

I am running this now:
/usr/lib/cyrus/bin/ctl_conversationsdb -v -b -r user

and it no longer appears to be stuck on the first mailbox.

thanks for the help! I will see what happens after this.

nate