Status of mail search on Cyrus 3?

Hello

Been using cyrus for about 19 years now mainly on my personal server. I haven't paid too much attention to it over the years since the 1.x to 2.x upgrade(painful), it basically just did it's thing. My needs aren't great at all.

Currently running Cyrus 3.0.8 on Devuan 3.1.

Long story short: does Cyrus 3 offer any IMAP level search optimizations that actually work vs older Cyrus versions? If so can you point me to docs or a guide to configure them. If it does not work then stop reading here.

I upgraded my server a couple of years ago to full SSD and yesterday I wanted to look into indexing in cyrus again. In the past I used squatter to index mails. I spent a bunch of time yesterday trying to get that working, all attempts failed, the cyrus tools said it was successfully updating the index but it wasn't doing anything(verified with strace). I eventually came across this:
https://github.com/cyrusimap/cyrus-imapd/issues/2598

Which basically confirms what I saw, ok squatter can't be used anymore. Not the end of the world for me. I'm just curious here.

Looking at the cyrus website homepage it says:
"Features

Among other things but really I can't find anywhere else where search is mentioned or how to configure it(or does it even work?)  There is a "features" section but there is no mention of the text search anywhere.

It seems an organization named fastmail took over cyrus at some point and has been making a lot of changes to suit them. That's fine for me too, again just curious does any of this work or not if not then I will forget about search.

So I thought my next step would be to build conversation dbs, before I could index with Xapian ? So I started that process yesterday and after ~14 hours it still had not completed. I looked at the files that were open and it was stuck on the first mailbox. There are only 29 messages in that mailbox and it was churning on something there for 14 hours on a very fast server. No errors just doing something.

strace again this time it implied that the ctl_conversationsdb tool was in a loop going over the same files over and over again. It was working with locks, even though I wasn't logged in I thought maybe if I just stopped cyrus entirely it would get unstuck but that did not help. I removed all lock files that did not help.

I then came across this thread a few minutes ago:
https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/T8381a3f493a26265-M2c12a638a6fffd31ee1b9e32/prblems-rebuilding-conversations-db

from 2019 which basically says the same behavior as I am seeing now in 2021.

I'm assuming at this point there is no working search optimizations in cyrus 3.0. If that is the case perhaps it is fixed in a newer version? I have lived without search optimizations for quite a while and can continue to do so was more just tinkering thinking with all of the I/O capacity I have now with SSD vs spinning rust in years past that squat would update pretty fast now and I was curious what would happen. That led me down a very deep rabbit hole I wasn't expecting.

thanks

nate