Re: squatter not used after upgrade to cyrus 3.0.8

Quoting Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On Fri, May 10, 2019, at 2:18 PM, Michael Menge wrote:
no the problem is not completly resolved jet.
See for details.

I tested this right now on the 3.0 branch, and I can confirm there's an issue of matches not being found. I don't have an answer why this is so, yet. I'm working on it.

> I've put in my impad.conf:
> search_engine: squat
> search_fuzzy_always: 1

AFAIK the squat search engine does not support fuzzy search.
I am sure in my testing this setting didn't resolve the slow
search, but i don't remember if this setting did nothing,
or failed to find anything at all or what else happened
with this configuration.

If I recall correctly, Cyrus uses the configured search engine only for fuzzy search. Non-fuzzy search is matched using the Cyrus-builtin routines, which will be slow: for body search it has to examine every message for that mailbox.

If your client is sending something like:

 C: 6 search body "body"

then it won't use the squat/xapian index, unless you have search_fuzzy_always set.

Thanks Robert for looking into it.

I think there is some confusion here. I didn't test "search body",
not sure if this was supported by cyrus 2.4 and if yes if it made
use of the index.
What I did test was "search text" and "search header".
Both used the index in 2.4 and didn't use it in 3.0
in my initial configuration.

I was able to make cyrus use the squat index file again
for header search by enabling conversation db, though I had to
disable conversation db again on our production servers because
of other problems.

I can test again if search_fuzzy_always has an influence on
the usage of the usage of the "search text".

M.Menge                                Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universität Tübingen                   Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum für Datenverarbeitung mail: michael.menge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wächterstraße 76
72074 Tübingen

----