Sieve vacation script?

I've been struggling with figuring out how to set up a sieve vacation reply script. The documentation on this is pretty sparse, and the stuff I do find doesn't work. For example,

[cyrus@www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --authname=cyrus localhost
connecting to localhost
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.
[cyrus@www ~]$ sieveshell --user=research@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx --authname=cyrus episcopalarchives.org
connecting to episcopalarchives.org
unable to connect to server at /usr/bin/sieveshell line 191.

I'm also not sure what the point is of sieveshell is if I'm running it on the mail server and not remotely; similarly for timsieved.

First question: is there step by step explanation for manually creating and invoking a cyrus sieve script for a particular user?

Second question: Ancient unix/linux users will recall a simple vacation program that any user could run to throw up or take down an automated vacation reply. The age of sieve has made this process considerably more complicated, but I would like to write (or obtain) a script that performs a similar function for cyrus sieve; i.e. the user runs vacation and it automatically sets up an automated vacation reply message. Anyone have something like this already?

I've been beating my head against google for many hours at this point looking for information on how this all works, particularly with cyrus and haven't found anything.

----
To Unsubscribe: