Re: cyrus+sendmail+lmtpunix connection refused by localhost

Hi there,

I'm having this very same problem. My HostStatusDirectory setting is off, however. This has only started again since upgrading to 2.3.3. Really hoping someone has ideas here. Thanks.

Lenny
--
"Wisdom is to a man an infinite Treasure" - Anonymous

Quoting Chris Harms <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
Chris Harms <chris@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hello,

We have recently started to experience an inconsistent problem after
restarting cyrus and sendmail after a nightly backup script runs.  All
services seem to start properly, but mail delivery is deferred with
sendmail logging

dsn=4.4.1, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by localhost

It appears to be something in lmtp, but we aren't sure what exactly.
We are using the socket for lmtpunix delivery.  The magic bullet
seemed to be stopping all services and removing
/var/run/cyrus-master.pid and some old lmtp lock files, but then this
may have been coincidental.  I found a few similar reports on Google,
but no definite answers to this problem.

Any insight as to why this would just start happening out of the blue
would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris Harms

# additional info

# Software versions
cyrus 2.2.12
sendmail 8.13.6

# /var/imap/socket
srwxrwxrwx 1 root  root  0 May 16 22:36 lmtp

# cyrus.conf
lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

Two recomended tests:
a) direct execution of deliver program
(echo subject: test; echo) | cyrdeliver -- mailbox_name
[ it will try to submit message via unix socket ]
b) making sendmail deliver the message in verbose mode
in sendmail-8.12+ as root execute:
(echo subject: test; echo)| sendmail -v mailbox_name

One possible source of problem: HostStatusDirectory option makes
sendmail "remember" for some time initial problems with delivery to
cyrus imap.
Have you set the option in your sendmail.cf?

It appears to be enabled:

O HostStatusDirectory=.hoststat

Reviewing my backup script shows the stopping / starting of sendmail to
be commented out, so I should probably uncomment that first.  Or would
it be a good idea to turn off the HostStatusDirectory option anyway?

Thank you for your help,
Chris
----

----