cyrus+sendmail+lmtpunix connection refused by localhost

Hello,

We have recently started to experience an inconsistent problem after restarting cyrus and sendmail after a nightly backup script runs. All services seem to start properly, but mail delivery is deferred with sendmail logging

dsn=4.4.1, stat=Deferred: Connection refused by localhost

It appears to be something in lmtp, but we aren't sure what exactly. We are using the socket for lmtpunix delivery. The magic bullet seemed to be stopping all services and removing /var/run/cyrus-master.pid and some old lmtp lock files, but then this may have been coincidental. I found a few similar reports on Google, but no definite answers to this problem.

Any insight as to why this would just start happening out of the blue would be most appreciated.

Thank you,
Chris Harms

# additional info

# Software versions
cyrus 2.2.12
sendmail 8.13.6

# /var/imap/socket
srwxrwxrwx 1 root  root  0 May 16 22:36 lmtp

# cyrus.conf
 lmtp          cmd="lmtpd" listen="lmtp" prefork=0
 lmtpunix      cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/imap/socket/lmtp" prefork=1

----