Re: "Management team"

On 22/04/2020, at 9:48 AM, Pete Resnick <resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 21 Apr 2020, at 16:16, Jay Daley wrote:

RFC 3710, Section 1.1 sets out role of the IESG as follows:

Fair warning about RFC 3710. See section 1.2:

  This document is published as an Informational RFC, detailing the
  current operations of the IESG.  It does not claim to represent
  consensus of the IETF that this is the right set of instructions to
  the IESG.

Yes fair point - this could not be called a "delegated authority".  Since the IESG asserts responsibility for "administering the meeting event" and with this being all that is documented (and nothing documented to the contrary) I think you can see why I follow that and so coordinate with them in the planning of meetings.

Going back to my response to John’s original point - no new organisation has been created and no new responsibilities asserted, it’s just coordination. Though, with the LLC being relatively new, this level of coordination is also new.

The role of the IESG, except for it's role in the standards process (see RFC 2026) is highly under-specified, for better or worse. RFC 2028, section 3.5 also makes for amusing reading, and if you really want to go spelunking, a look at RFC 1602, section 1.2, and RFC 1310, section 1.2, are also fun.

Welcome to the amusing part of this crusty old organization. ;-)

Thank you, I think.

Jay

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director