Re: Off-topic: making WebRTC work in practice (Re: a brief pondering)

Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > We need an open standard for such a client. Because that is the only way
    > users can be assured the client they are downloading hasn't got a backdoor.
    > It isn't a perfect guarantee but it is better than the situation I have now
    > where my messaging provider reconfigures its app every ten days or so.
    > Being forced to install code updates from a single source is a security
    > risk in itself. And don't tell me that frequent updates are necessary for
    > security, if the code is so buggy it has to have an urgent security patch
    > more than once a month, you are doing it wrong.

This.

Lots of people have explained why XMPP sucks, but I prefer the suck I know
and foster some competition without a fork-lift upgrade, to the single source
of code (no matter how "open" source it is).

I don't think that the IETF is going to get anywhere with standardized video
conferencing.
I don't think W3C will either (I think they have less of a chance actually).

WebRTC is a good start, and I'm happier with javascript I have to download
and trust than native code I have to download.

Having said this, eating our own dogfood is really important.
IPv6, webrtc, QUIC, TLS1.3.

I understand from this thread that webrtc solutions can *not* send p2p
streams between end points?  I find this surprising, since I observe failures
in webrtc which seem to be lack of a clear n X n media flow.
(Alice and Bob can talk, and Alice and Carmen can talk, but Bob and Carmen can't talk)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-