RE: Off-topic: making WebRTC work in practice (Re: a brief pondering)

Does this come down to who does the implementations of extensions to WebRTC?

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 04:09:10PM +0200, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Since I've been part of almost every single one of the removals that
> Cullen refers to, it's no surprise that my perspective differs.

I can't quite tell if the difference is just who does the browser implementation
to demonstrate the extensions that WebEx and Zoom would need to avoid the
cost of maintaining separate implementations for each client platform?
Or is there some kind of driver issue? Performance? Usability? Device access?

> The push towards apps is, to my mind, mostly pushing towards *mobile*
> apps - they try to push users into the Android/IOS ecosystems because
> that's where most of the users are, and therefore most of the money is.
> On the desktop, the single vendor focusing near-exclusively on an app
> solution is Zoom.

I  think market segmentation by platform type doesn't work here --
If you're hosting a meeting, you want success for everyone who wants to attend.
There should be no benefit to native app except for vendor lock-in.
--
https://LarryMasinter.net  https://Going-Remote.info