Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-iesg-nomcom-eligibility-2020-00.txt> (Eligibility for the 2020-2021 Nominating Committee) to Best Current Practice

Hi Barry,

>> If we have to form a recall committee in the period before we have worked
>> out a long-term solution, I presume the same rules will apply. I think it
>> would be wise to fill this hole now because if we need it (which we won't)
>> then we'll need to sort it out in a real hurry.
>
> Given that the recall process in BCP 10 explicitly refers to the
> NomCom eligibility and process, I think that what's important is to be
> clear that the scope of this document does include anything that's
> tied to that process.

Thanks. I really appreciate what you're trying to do here.

> So how about this instead?:
>
>> Abstract
>> OLD
>>    This document only affects the seating of the
>>    2020-2021 NomCom, and does not set a precedent for the future.
>
> NEW
>   This document only affects the seating of the
>   2020-2021 NomCom and any rules that relate to the
>   NomCom process before IETF 108, and does not set a
>   precedent for the future.
> END

I have a pedant's concern that the "recall process" is not the "NomCom process".

In your preamble you said "NomCom eligibility and process" and I feel that captures it better, so in the spirit of negotiation, how about...
   This document only affects the seating of the
   2020-2021 NomCom and any rules that relate to
   NomCom eligibility or process before IETF 108, and
   does not set a precedent for the future.

>> Section 1
>> OLD
>>    The 2020-2021 Nominating Committee (NomCom) needs to be formed
>>    between IETF 107 and IETF 108, and the issue of eligibility of who
>>    can serve on that NomCom needs clarification: a one-time
>>    interpretation of the eligibility rules is required for this
>>    particular exceptional situation, given the tight timeframe for
>>    seating this year's NomCom.
>
> NEW
>   The 2020-2021 Nominating Committee (NomCom) needs to be formed
>   between IETF 107 and IETF 108, and the issue of eligibility of who
>   can serve on that NomCom needs clarification: a one-time
>   interpretation of the eligibility rules is required for this
>   particular exceptional situation.  That interpretation will apply
>   to the seating of that NomCom and to any rules that relate
>   to the NomCom process before IETF 108.
> END

Similarly:
....and to any rules that relate to NomCom eligibility before IETF 108.

>> Section 3
>> OLD
>>    This update is an emergency interpretation of the intent of BCP 10
>>    for this current exceptional situation only, and applies only to the
>>    2020-2021 NomCom, which is expected to be seated prior to IETF 108.
>>    It will explicitly not apply to any future NomCom and does not set
>>    precedent: another update to BCP 10 will be necessary to address
>>    future eligibility, as there will be time for proper community work
>>    on such an update.
>
> NEW
>   This update is an emergency interpretation of the intent of BCP 10
>   for this current exceptional situation only, and applies only to the
>   2020-2021 NomCom, which is expected to be seated prior to IETF 108,
>   and to any rules that relate to the NomCom process before IETF 108.
>   It will explicitly not apply to any future NomCom and does not set
>   precedent: another update to BCP 10 will be necessary to address
>   future eligibility, as there will be time for proper community work
>   on such an update.
> END

And again:
s/relate to the NomCom process/relate to NomCom eligibility/

Cheers,
Adrian