Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: <draft-iesg-nomcom-eligibility-2020-00.txt> (Eligibility for the 2020-2021 Nominating Committee) to Best Current Practice

Hi, Adrian, and thanks for the response.

> If we have to form a recall committee in the period before we have worked
> out a long-term solution, I presume the same rules will apply. I think it
> would be wise to fill this hole now because if we need it (which we won't)
> then we'll need to sort it out in a real hurry.

Given that the recall process in BCP 10 explicitly refers to the
NomCom eligibility and process, I think that what's important is to be
clear that the scope of this document does include anything that's
tied to that process.  So how about this instead?:

> Abstract
> OLD
>    This document only affects the seating of the
>    2020-2021 NomCom, and does not set a precedent for the future.

NEW
   This document only affects the seating of the
   2020-2021 NomCom and any rules that relate to the
   NomCom process before IETF 108, and does not set a
   precedent for the future.
END

> Section 1
> OLD
>    The 2020-2021 Nominating Committee (NomCom) needs to be formed
>    between IETF 107 and IETF 108, and the issue of eligibility of who
>    can serve on that NomCom needs clarification: a one-time
>    interpretation of the eligibility rules is required for this
>    particular exceptional situation, given the tight timeframe for
>    seating this year's NomCom.

NEW
   The 2020-2021 Nominating Committee (NomCom) needs to be formed
   between IETF 107 and IETF 108, and the issue of eligibility of who
   can serve on that NomCom needs clarification: a one-time
   interpretation of the eligibility rules is required for this
   particular exceptional situation.  That interpretation will apply
   to the seating of that NomCom and to any rules that relate
   to the NomCom process before IETF 108.
END

> Section 3
> OLD
>    This update is an emergency interpretation of the intent of BCP 10
>    for this current exceptional situation only, and applies only to the
>    2020-2021 NomCom, which is expected to be seated prior to IETF 108.
>    It will explicitly not apply to any future NomCom and does not set
>    precedent: another update to BCP 10 will be necessary to address
>    future eligibility, as there will be time for proper community work
>    on such an update.

NEW
   This update is an emergency interpretation of the intent of BCP 10
   for this current exceptional situation only, and applies only to the
   2020-2021 NomCom, which is expected to be seated prior to IETF 108,
   and to any rules that relate to the NomCom process before IETF 108.

--
Barry