Re: Jabber at IETF107 and a thank you

On 27 Mar 2020, at 11:12, Paul Hoffman wrote:

On 27 Mar 2020, at 9:04, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

Il 27/03/2020 15:20 Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:

In My Not So Humble Opinion EVERYONE should get Jabber working and join
in the Jabber for their session.

I don't know. I liked the side conversations on jabber, they were the only social element of this IETF, but at times (not always) they went beyond commenting what the current speaker was saying, and started being separate complex technical conversations, and at that point it became impossible to focus at the same time on the presentation and on the side discussion. Sometimes it felt like the actual session was going on in jabber, and the set of slowly changing slides with spoken comment (which in a videoconference are bound to be boring anyway) had become almost a background noise; perhaps that was not the intended effect.

Vittorio is completely correct here, at least from my experience this week. Paying attention to speakers at the same time as Jabber, particularly during Q&A, was impossible. Jabber will always be more entertaining than speakers, particularly during Q&A.

The result of the high volume of chatter in Jabber is that the meetings themselves become even more just a place for presentations and mic lines, not a group of people moving ideas forward.

I think this was worsened this week because most of the groups were BoFs or first-time-meeting-WGs. That means that the presentations were truly bringing some people up to speed on the technology, while folks already familiar (proponents or folks steeped in the field) were having more elaborate jabber discussions. For regular WGs, where the presentations are (should be?) just issues slides to frame discussion, mic discussion will take more bandwidth for everyone and jabber won't be as busy.

Figuring out how to do less linear mic discussion would also improve interaction and put less pressure on jabber.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best