Re: Jabber at IETF107 and a thank you

On 2020-03-27, at 17:04, Vittorio Bertola <vittorio.bertola=40open-xchange.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sometimes it felt like the actual session was going on in jabber, and the set of slowly changing slides with spoken comment (which in a videoconference are bound to be boring anyway) had become almost a background noise; perhaps that was not the intended effect.

Note that this has happened at physical meetings before.

One reason is that creating and affirming consensus is an important component of meetings, and that is not very interesting for the people who are either already part of that consensus or have made up their minds already that they do not want to become part of that.  But it also is really useful to thread off a discussion that is not really fully on-topic.

And I agree with Toerless’ comment that it is not easy to manage those threads in today’s jabber tools.
(We also had meta-threads about the brokenness of various tools or of they way they were used.)

Grüße, Carsten