Re: Jabber at IETF107 and a thank you

Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > Maybe it was always this way, and I never Jabbered, as I was in the session
    > room, but this week Jabber was used for side discussions about the slide
    > material without interupting the speaker.  I feel that valuable information
    > was exchanged and maybe some questions answered well in the Jabber rather
    > than at the mike and were thus captured in the Jabber log.

It has always been this way.  You aren't a newbie.

***
Maybe you can tell us why you haven't never bothered with jabber before?
I have observed many people who just don't bother.
***

Having a back channel for clarifying questions, and just to well... get the
snark out... is really important.  It's even fun, and I tend to find that it
keeps me engaged, particularly for material that I already know, (or already
know I don't care about).

I have regularly been in the "hallway" room in my desktop client for like.... a
decade. Even between meetings, and I am often in the rooms for which I am (or
have been) a chair, basically all the time.
Okay, some of this is just too lazy to close the tab, but some of this is intentional.
Some goes back to the period when I didn't travel much due to funding and family.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-