Re: Jabber at IETF107 and a thank you

On 3/27/20 12:25 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:
Robert Moskowitz <rgm-ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
     > Maybe it was always this way, and I never Jabbered, as I was in the session
     > room, but this week Jabber was used for side discussions about the slide
     > material without interupting the speaker.  I feel that valuable information
     > was exchanged and maybe some questions answered well in the Jabber rather
     > than at the mike and were thus captured in the Jabber log.

It has always been this way.  You aren't a newbie.

***
Maybe you can tell us why you haven't never bothered with jabber before?
I have observed many people who just don't bother.
***

I was there at the session and never really got into Jabber.  It meant installing a new app (pidgin) that previously I had no need to use.  I am not an IM kind of guy.  I was even late to SMS.  I am a relatively oldtime email person (I did X.400 as well, but that was more limited).

This week forced me to dive in and just swim with the rest of the fish.

Having a back channel for clarifying questions, and just to well... get the
snark out... is really important.  It's even fun, and I tend to find that it
keeps me engaged, particularly for material that I already know, (or already
know I don't care about).

I have regularly been in the "hallway" room in my desktop client for like... a
decade. Even between meetings, and I am often in the rooms for which I am (or
have been) a chair, basically all the time.
Okay, some of this is just too lazy to close the tab, but some of this is intentional.
Some goes back to the period when I didn't travel much due to funding and family.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
  -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-