Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:41:24AM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 01:24:58PM +0100, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> > 2) The S. Korean model, which is testing lots of people and
> > quarantine only for those that don't pass the test.
>
> In the S. Korean model, quaranteen officers have significant powers to
> make sure individuals who have tested positive to stay sequesters.
> They also have the power to use individuals' cell phone location
> history to track people's past locations via GPS to find other people
> who may have interacted with the infected individual, and who should
> therefore, be tested, and possibly, quaranteened.
>
> I doubt this would work in even in the United States, where the
> population at large seem to be much more accepting of government
> surveillance in the name of National Security.  However, in Europe,
> and especially countries like Germany, who have a much greater fear of
> government surveillance (perhaps because of the experience of the
> Stasi in East Germany), I very much doubt the full South Korean model
> would fly at all.

In the U.S. the local governments used to have a great deal of lattitude
constitutionally and statutorilly.  Compulsory vaccination and
quarantines used to be a thing Stateside.  Now maybe not so much, and
though most Americans accept subtle surveillance, we don't like overt
surveillance.  We still don't have anything like a national ID document
as in pretty much the rest of the world.  But when the brown stuff hits
the moving blades, you never know what a population might accept.  With
any luck we won't find out anytime soon!

Nico