Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

On 3/10/2020 3:14 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
I don't think this is right.

Not having an official ban from the Canada authorities makes impossible to get a refund for:

1) Flight
2) Hotel

So, for those that have paid that from their own pocket, in advance, to make it cheaper, is the IETF insurance going to cover that?

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

No, the IETF insurance will not cover this.

1) See what your airline will do - otherwise if you didn't buy insurance, it's your issue to resolve.   I'm in the same boat, but I expected to be.  At the least its a deductible expense on taxes.

2) The IETF main hotel has a 72 cancellation policy to cancel without cost.  Take advantage of it.  If you didn't register via the IETF portal, it's your issue to resolve.

The IETF and its management is doing the best it can with conflicting priorities and expects that all of us will take responsibility for our own actions.  I appreciate their service in the face of a very hard decision.

I note that you have stated a belief that the IETF is responsible for making you whole not a few times prior - perhaps investing in insurance in the future might be more productive?

Later, Mike