Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 08:29:56PM +0100, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> I really think it is a criminal wrong decision. We are just helping to spread the fear.

No, it's a realistic decision.  A vaccine is likely a year-ish away
barring a serendipitous breakthrough.  Italy shut down the entire country
effective this morning.  US Universities and colleges are sending their
students home.  And so on -- because the only viable method available for
slowing the spread is social distancing.  COVID-19 will still propagate,
but it will propagate more slowly, flattening the demand curve for
medical resources, including personnel, hospital rooms, ICU space, etc.
(And those of us in the US had better hope that works because the current
infection rate projections look ominous circa March 20 and the testing
rate is orders of magnitude below where it needs to be.)

Everything done before a pandemic looks like too much, everything done
after it hits looks like too little.

---rsk