Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

Registration being closed, could not (easily) find the terms.

I am pretty sure there must be a governing law clause. That might not be effective in ensuring US law applied over Canadian but it would be less likely the Spanish courts would apply Spanish law.

I am not a lawyer of course. But I have spent enough of other people's money on such issues...

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 2:53 PM Michael StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/11/2020 1:29 PM, Jay Daley wrote:
>> JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote on 10/03/2020 20:37:
>>> According to lawyers, at least in the case of Spanish law, from what
>>> I got about 10 minutes ago, if an event organizer cancels a meeting,
>>> it is responsible and liable for any cancellation's costs to
>>> participants, unless there is a "force major cause" (which clearly is
>>> not the case, until it is declared by the corresponding government).
>>
>> Could someone from the IETF confirm that this has been taken into
>> account in the risk analysis for the Madrid meeting?
>
> No because this was the first we heard about this.  We will take legal
> advice.

The US term is "Incidental and Consequential Damages".   I don't
remember if the registration includes any language about "IETF not
responsible for...." or "attendee waives liability for...".  It's
probably a good thing to add - after 35+ years of not needing it.   And
doesn't apply to any of the attendees for Madrid until the IETF starts
accepting registration fees from them.

Later, Mike