Re: IETF 107 Vancouver In-Person Meeting Cancelled

On 10/3/20 23:06, Jay Daley wrote:
Rich

On 11/03/2020, at 8:42 AM, Salz, Rich <rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

  The IESG and the IRTF Chair have been assessing the viability of the in-person meeting based on the community’s ability to be productive. Assessment of health concerns has been the job of the LLC, on a separate track.

Could the LLC have cancelled the meeting?  How separate were the tracks?  The IESG didn't consider health concerns at all?

To put it in common business terms, I think we're owed a root cause analysis of the full decision-making process by all parties.

Let me add to Adam’s helpful note, speaking only for the LLC here.

I certainly intend to have an internal debrief to identify any outstanding issues and lessons for next time and then share details of that and get comment.  This is important as a number of decisions were made on the fly and we need to circle back to have those validated/challenged.  For example, our decision to follow public health advice was made in the absence of a community decision and was maintained despite a few community members expressing very strong disagreement (largely in private).

FWIW, even with a "community decision", I'm not sure how "us" could be more authoritative than "public health advice" (if anything, we're authoritative in terms of Internet protocols, not on public health issues).

So while there might be room for disagreement, that seems to be an educated decision.

In the end, the meeting seems to have been cancelled for the only good and educated reason that it could be cancelled (concerns about the ability of having a productive meeting).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks